Twelve Drummers Drumming

 

       This post was supposed to happen last night, but circumstances intervened and I find that it is, perhaps, more fitting today. 

         The carol I chose to close out this year's series is one that I have shared once before several years ago and which I have known from my earliest years. I only discovered that there were actually words when I was in my late teens and they remain some of the most beautiful and profound Christmas lyrics in my ken. 

         Perhaps you've never heard The Golden Carol of The Wisemen, or perhaps, like me in childhood, you've only ever heard the melody and never the words. This medieval carol needs little introduction, and I don't wish to say much about it. Today is Christmas, we will be relaxing among family members, opening presents, eating food, and possibly taking naps. 

         However, let us not leave the day without a thought for why we celebrate; why this day should cause us to rejoice. In the words of St. Patrick's Breastplate:

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

      And, without further ado:


                 

1. We saw a light shine out a-far,
    On Christmas in the morning;
And straight we knew it was Christ's star,
    Bright beaming in the morning.
Then did we fall on bended knee,
    On Christmas in the morning;
And prais'd the Lord, who let us see
    His glory at its dawning.

2. Oh! Every thought be of His Name,
    On Christmas in the morning;
Who bore for us both grief and shame,
    Afflictions sharpest scorning.
And we may die (when death shall come,)
    On Christmas in the morning;
And see in Heav'n, our glorious home,
    That Star of Christmas morning.

          I don't know about you, but I cannot wait to meet that star of Christmas morning one day! I only pray that God will help me keep this hope in the front and centre of my life always. May everything I do be born out of a love for Christ and close communion with Him whom I shall someday see face to face. If I am blessed to die on Christmas morning, it will make it all that much more precious to those left behind. They may know that I am celebrating the best Christmas of all with my Saviour who bore all for me.

          Merry Christmas!

                       ~ Christianna

          

Share this:

1 comments:

Bridgette said...

Neat song and easy to learn...thanks for this year's series.
Everyday is Christmas in Heaven! Merry Christmas!