This is Why I Haven't Posted In a While

  
      Have you ever felt like the world is a burden you are honored to bear upon your shoulders in full? Has it ever seemed like you are the genius just waiting to be discovered? Who will save a billion lives through your ingenuity? Who will touch a thousand hearts with your wisdom and boundless love? Have you ever felt that every failure, every road block is a disappointment to the expectant world? That you are failing people and potential with every misstep and every hesitation?

      Welcome to my world, dear readers, this is what I combat every single waking moment. We can put  it into a simpler format here: Hubris.

      I use Hubris here because the word tends to encompass a little more than Pride does to modern ears. Hubris is the embodiment of things we call the Hero Complex, the Savior Complex, or the God Complex. To a degree, everyone of us struggle with some hubris in our lives, but, I'm bringing this up now, because, even though I've always 'known' I had a problem with  this, quite recently I was made to realize just how much it had taken a grip on my life due to my absolute horror and repugnance for failure, specifically in myself.

       Enter no. 1: guy who wants a relationship with me when I know it won't work. I see a vision of my kindly pointing the way, like a welcoming light in the tempest. I will help my friend see that I am not the right one for him, but we will part cordially and remain friends for the rest of our lives.

      Here's what actually happened. He felt hurt, misunderstood, and unfairly treated. I wound up sobbing myself to sleep on my bedroom floor because I felt like I'd made a muck of things. The next morning, I was told repeatedly that such things happen, I couldn't put the blame entirely on myself, that he would be okay and I could move on from this a wiser individual. All true, and yet, why do I still feel that all the fault is mine? Why do I worry that I will never get married because I'm horrible at relationships?

     Enter no. 2: November writer's challenge, NaNoWriMo, in which I write 50,000 words over the course of a month. I can just see it. Each day I write a little more than the minimum word count. I finish two days ahead to the envy and admiration of all my writing buddies. I write a novel that's ready to publish after the second revision.

    Here's what actually happened. I fell behind on the fourth day, I still haven't caught up, I fear that maybe with all the things going on, I might not catch up in time. And to top it all off, I know this story will need at least ten revisions before I get even remotely pleased with it. Everybody tells me I'm doing great. I've gotten farther on this story than I've ever gotten before, and, considering that the first year I tried this in 2014 and quit on day four with a grand total of 125 words, with my word count at nearly 22,000 now, I'm doing great. And of course it will need revisions, that's the best part of writing a novel. All true, and yet, why do I feel like a colossal failure? Why do I question whether I will ever publish a book?

      Enter no. 3: Opera which I have been working for quite some time which I am basing off of book one of Edmund Spenser's Faerie Queene. I plan to finish the libretto by the end of Summer 2018, and to have piano reductions of the most of the major arias scored by the end of the year. I can see it coming off grandly, and becoming wildly popular for it's unusually sensible theme and inspiring message.

     Here's what actually happened. I'm still only two thirds of the way through crafting the libretto, and I'm still rewriting parts of it that I'm not completely happy with. As for the music, so far, I've only gotten a few melodies on paper, and feel greatly my incompetency when it comes to writing down the harmonies I can hear in my head. Considering I've never written more than a string quartet in terms of multi-instrumental work, people tell me I'm doing just fine. Besides, Operas can take years to write, and that's perfectly all right. All true, and yet, why do I feel like I'm a horrible musician who's just playing at something he's not good enough to take seriously? Why do I fear that my dreams of becoming a composer will never be realized?

  
     The list could go on. My voice isn't where I want it to be. I'm a violin teacher and yet I still often struggle with some of the most basic techniques, I have worked so hard at learning fiddle style but still struggling just to not sound like a Classical musician. I've been trying so hard to get up a regular exercise routine but keep missing days due to lack of motivation on my part. I try to keep practicing my sight singing, but after one very demotivating rejection, practice has been less than regular.

    Where am I going with all this complaining? (If you're a first time reader, please don't think I complain like this on every blog post...or do I)     ;)


      I hope for one thing it encourages anyone out there whose felt like everyone has his life together except for him, that that is certainly not the case.

      For the second, all this was, like any good story, helping the reader understand the sheer need I've been having for a willingness to accept failures as part of life. Not to settle with failure, no, but to be okay with them happening.

     Recently, a writer who's list I managed to get subscribed to, sent out an email detailing a struggle in a very similar situation.
      His light bulb moment became mine. You see, what if God's plan is for me to fail ten-thousand ways before I conquer? What if all the imperfections in my life are building up towards one grand perfection?

       What if failing multiple times is what's going to make my Opera so meaningful, my novel so impactful, and my relationships so much more loving? What if in the course of these failures, I'm not actually falling back down the mountain, but taking one painful step closer to the sparkling goal?

        Someday, I am certain, all these failures and all these flaws will bring forth something beautiful, wrought of sweat, tears, and missteps, and if that something wonderful goes on to impact ten people for good, it will be worth it.

        Thomas Edison failed hundreds of times through the course of years it took him to successfully craft the light-bulb which would go on to light the homes all over the entire globe.  Simply trying to thread the carbonized filament into the light-bulb without it breaking failed at least fifty times.

      Surely I can't give up after far less than that. I know this opera is something I have to write if it takes me a lifetime. And if it doesn't come to fruition until I'm hoary haired, that will be okay.

      You know, I've realized that a Lifetime of Failures is not at all the same thing as a Failed Lifetime. I can have a lifetime of 'successes' and still ultimately fail, because I gave up too easily. Because I couldn't take the failure.


       So, there we have it, my enduring readers. If you read all the way through that, you have my everlasting respect and heartfelt gratitude. What about you? What are your failings that God is calling you to push through? How can I pray for you as you wade through all those missteps and imperfections?

      I'll leave you now with a song of thanksgiving in honor of, well, Thanksgiving Day, of course. Don't you just hate the way people skip right over Thanksgiving in the mad dash for Christmas? It's such an important Holiday and half the people in North Carolina already have their Christmas tree up. Anyway, I shan't do that, so I'll end this litany of failures with a song of thanks for one of God's most precious gifts to man, in my opinion. Music.

     Don't groan, what did you think it was going to be? Mickey Mouse....I don't think so.

Anyway, this song by my favorite modern composer, John Rutter, is absolutely stunning both in its beauty and its profundity. I'm including the lyrics below, so you can understand what is being sung.



        

Eternal God, we give you thanks for music, 
Blest gift from heaven to all your servants here on earth:
In time of joy a crown, in sorrow consolation; 
companion through our days of tears and mirth.

We give you thanks for every sound of beauty: 
for sweetest harmony that echoes in our hearts. 
For melodies that soar on high like birds at morning, 
For voice and instrument in all their parts.

As we are blest, so may our gifts bless others: 
May hearts be touched and spirits lifted up anew.
Let music draw together those who live as strangers 
Bring joy to those we love, in thankfulness true.

And when at last we come into your kingdom, 
All discord over and all earthly labor done, 
Then sound and silence yield before one equal music, 
And with the Giver shall our souls be one.

Happy Thanksgiving!

    ~ Christianna 


Share this:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am running to work but is this the same gentleman that gives you hand written letters sometimes? My husband too thinks it's love. It sounds like you actually like him, no wonder you are concerned about him. Stop blaming yourself, pick up the phone and call him. Just learn how to love back and everything will be alright.

Christianna Hellwig said...

Dear Anonymous,

I appreciate your concern. I have to say I was both amused and slightly disturbed to read this. The latter because I can only think a few people who are privy to my letter correspondences, the former because I'm afraid you've got quite the wrong picture. I'm happy to say, that when I saw this guy just the other day, we were on cordial terms and I am more than ever certain that he is not the right one for me. I should hope I'd be concerned about a brother in Christ regardless of his relationship to me. Everything is quite alright. And I'm trusting God to show me who's right for me. If being His child has taught me anything over the years, it is that because He loves me, I am free to open up my heart to others and not always in the romantic sense. :)
Wishing you the best and a very merry Christmas where ever you may be.
~ Christianna

Anonymous said...

I do not know by what standards you predicated your relationship not working. Did you take time to earnestly pray or even taking some time to fast about it? Have you given him an opportunity, what of a second chance if he blew the first one? You are right I must ask you to forgive me for prying on such a sensitive matter, I do not know what your full story, yet I cannot tell you how many beautiful young girls your age single and very lonely because they dream of a perfect guy to miraculously show up. One who likes exactly what they like, who is smarter or laid back so forth. The right man often comes in seemingly bad timing and seasons. To grow you in character, God will give you someone you least expect. One who is not your type, who is weak in areas you most want them strong, someone completely out of the box of the ideal man. Now, remember our country is being lied to by movie companies and literature of who the ideal boyfriend should be like, yet we keep having dysfunctional marriages. My question to you is, if you are praying for the right person, do you that guy is sent to you by the devil? Is he a murder or sexual offender of some sort? Also, are there other guys trying to pursue you like he is? Because if yes, then the Lord has someone else perhaps. But if not, consider looking at this from a different perspective.
You mention your worry is out of brotherly concern, (“I should hope I'd be concerned about a brother in Christ regardless of his relationship to me.”) have you personally reached out or initiated a conversation to see how he is doing ever since you posted this? Because that’s what brotherly love means. if you haven’t, then trust me, you are just being stubborn, afraid or do not think you are worth to be loved. I am intrigued in your blog mostly for this case because just like the Israelites adamantly asked for a king even when God was evidently leading, I have a privilege of counseling many young ladies with a preconceived mind of what they think they need. Child, sometimes we are so used to being alone, so used to having our way with things and often drenched in the negativity of rejection that even when God opens a door for us, we fail to open our eyes and see what he is doing. Often when a young person is completely sure about something like this as you are, it is an indication they are judging everything by the flesh. Again, pardon me for prying on your life. I pray that girls your generation would gasp the secrete of learning to love and working hard on a relationship and not giving up easily. As for him, if he is hurting its only normal and being a male, he will surely find a different woman. Now you could say that if he does, then God did not intend him for you. God will bring another person to you I am sure. You must be willing to pay the price of patience without questioning why it is taking so long if it happens that you are rejecting what he is putting before you now. Good luck sister.

Christianna Hellwig said...

Hehe, yes, I should hope I would never turn someone off without praying about it first, and by the by, I saw and talked with the "poor hurting young man" just this morning. And I think he got over me just fine. ;) I know I was right.
Ah but you assume you know what my qualifications are for a life partner, I assure you, we probably agree more than you might think.
Also, I have a wise mother in my life just like you are, I'm sure, a wise counselor to your son. She agreed with me that this young man wasn't right.
Finally, I assure you that not only am I not a sad, lonely single, but a happy, fulfilled single. finding joy in serving God right where I am. I have plenty of friends and an abundance of wise counselors.
I believe God can make us completely sure about things too. ;) I also don't think I ever said that I was impatient for a spouse, I trust God to bring the right one when it's time and I'm perfectly content to wait on that, without wondering why it's taking so long. :)

Sincerely,
~ Christianna

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have taken things into account:if your parents are aware and a very least met Mr. Mysterious guy. Hope you are holding up okay with what our family is going through now? Take care.

Christianna Hellwig said...

Why, thank you. You all as well! :)

Bridgette said...

Hi Christianna! Now I can see why you were so busy in November! I can totally identify with "to dos" being overwhelming and deciding what "to dos" aren't really. Some things I have put to the side completely or dropped and others I have started timing 5 to 10 minutes a day just to fit it in (reading, some aspects of practice, etc) because if I don't I will get discouraged by the end of the day that I have done nothing towards that goal.

Christianna Hellwig said...

Bridgette, thanks so much for commenting. Yes, trying to fit things in is just plain old challenging.