The Sixth Day of Advent...

 

        Due to an appalling lack of time, today's post will not only be brief, but will also recycle a carol I shared in this series a few years ago. It's been long enough that I think many of you reading this now may have either forgotten about this carol or weren't even following my blog at this time. 

          Remember...that's the key word here. God tells us to remember so many times throughout the scriptures, and repeats Himself with the same goal in mind. We so easily forget. We so easily lapse into a state of blissful oblivion. It's much easier to blame our problems on ignorance than inattention. 

         When I was growing up, forgetting was never an excuse for negligence. The excuse "I forgot" was responded to with, "If it had been important enough to you, you would have remembered."

          We all have varying degrees of memory retention, I know I have been blessed with an especially high retention rate(which only makes me more culpable in cases of mindlessness), but regardless, there are somethings that we are all called upon to keep in our heads regardless of any external circumstances which might threaten otherwise.

            Yesterday, I asked you to join John Newton who's memory was nearly gone in his old age, and yet he still clung to those most important things. When I was a teenager, there was a girl my age who's grandmother was suffering from Alzheimer's. The grandmother was an earnest Christian and I propounded a question to my friend that had been bothering me: "Does she forget that she's a Christian?" I asked. The girl shook her head emphatically, "That's not how it works." She said, "Sometimes she'll pray for someone in the morning and then forget that she prayed for that person a few hours later and pray for him again, but she doesn't forget God. That's just something you don't forget."

       Those words stuck with me so that I can still hear her saying it, "That's just something you don't forget."

        There are somethings you don't forget. They are so important to you that you don't, dare I say, you can't forget. My mother's words echo true once again, "If it were important enough to you, you would remember." 

         I have taken this truth as a standard to test how important something actually is to me. I may tell myself it's important, but if I'm constantly forgetting about it, for whatever reason, I seriously question my heart with regards to that thing. Sometimes that thing is something that really ought to be more important to me and so it becomes a focal point of my prayers and actions. "Remember!" I remind myself, "Don't let me forget."

         ....Because value and memory are directly linked.

You go up about three levels in my estimation if you already know what Christmas song I'm going to introduce now. If not, that's okay, it's time to learn it. 

A beautiful Medaeval Christmas Carol, Remember, O Thou Man

Yes, you should read through all ten verses, even if the ensemble isn't singing them all. They're all excellent.

1. Remember, O thou Man, 
O thou Man, O thou Man, 
Remember, O thou Man, 
Thy time is spent. 
Remember, O thou Man, 
How thou camest to me then, 
And I did what I can. 
 Therefore repent. 
 
2. Remember Adam's fall, 
O thou Man, O thou Man, 
Remember Adam's fall 
From Heaven to Hell. 
Remember Adam's fall, 
How we were condemned all 
To Hell perpetual, 
There for to dwell. 
 
 3. Remember God's goodness, 
 O thou Man, O thou Man, 
Remember God's goodness 
And promise made. 
Remember God's goodness, 
How his only Son he sent 
Our sins for to redress. 
Be not afraid. 
 
4. The Angels all did sing, 
O thou Man, O thou Man, 
The Angels all did sing 
On Sion hill. 
The Angels all did sing 
Praises to our Heavenly King, 
And peace to man living, 
With right good will. 
 
5. The Shepherds amazed was, 
O thou Man, O thou Man, 
The Shepherds amazed was 
To hear the Angels sing. 
The Shepherds amazed was 
How this should come to pass. 
That Christ our Messias 
Should be our King. 
 
6. To Bethlehem did they go, 
O thou Man, O thou Man, 
To Bethlehem did they go 
This thing to see. 
To Bethlehem did they go 
To see whether it was so, 
Whether Christ was born or no, 
To set us free. 
 
 7. As the Angels before did say, 
O thou Man, O thou Man, 
As the Angels before did say. 
 So it came to pass. 
As the Angels before did say. 
They found him wrapt in hay 
In a manger where he lay. 
So poor he was. 
 
8. In Bethlehem was he born, 
O thou Man, O thou Man, 
In Bethlehem was he born 
For mankind dear. 
In Bethlehem was he born 
For us that were forlorn. 
And therefore took no scorn 
Our sins to bear. 
 
9. In a manger laid he was, 
O thou Man, O thou Man, 
In a manger laid he was 
At this time present. 
In a manger laid he was. 
Between an ox and an ass, 
And all for our trespass, 
Therefore repent. 
 
10. Give thanks to God always, 
O thou Man, O thou Man, 
Give thanks to God always 
With hearts most jolly. 
Give thanks to God always 
Upon this blessed day. 
Let all men sing and say, 
Holy, Holy. 
 
      Now that you've had the full dose, here it is, coupled with the haunting modal tune sung so beautifully by one of my favourite vocal groups, The King's Singers.

               

                    Yes, you should learn this one too. Don't forget any of it, Adam's fall, or God's goodness, they're both integral to the Christmas message: Great sinners and a Great saviour.

                 Until tomorrow,

                           ~ Christianna

Share this:

1 comments:

Bridgette said...

I will remember this: "value and memory are directly linked."