Six Days Awaiting...

         I think last year I mentioned something about European's fascination with mixing snow and Christmas carols. It's true that 'most every European Christmas carol in existence manages to sneak something in about either snow or the fact that it was a very cold winter night. And yet, the fact remains, that in the country of Israel depending on what time of year the incarnation actually took place, there was very probably no snow, and it's four to one that it wasn't a bitterly cold winter night. Regardless, I still sing these beautiful old carols, and a lot of them still contain very profound nuggets of truth, nonetheless.

        I'm going to share with you one of my very favorite carols, up there with "Shepherd's Pipe Carol" and "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear."
   This is "Es ist Ein Ros Einsprungen," or, as you will know it, "Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming."

    I don't intend to say much about the carol this time about except the already stated fact can be applied as the unknown author managed to slip in "Amid the cold of winter" at the end of the first verse.
    It's a beautiful carol and, quite profound in it's truth. I'll let you listen to it yourself, and tell me what you think. I'd love to know if you've ever heard this carol before.

      My favorite versions are in German, but for your edification, I shall feature it here in my native tongue.


       

 

         Until tomorrow then!

   ~ Christianna
  

Share this:

0 comments: