The Second Before Christmas

 

        I hate how much this year's circumstances have managed to fragment all of us. I hate how much current events have made many of us forget about Christmas, Christ, and the whole gambit. I hate the fact that at the beginning of this year I felt things were finally beginning to get better between me and my church, and now I find myself not even allowed to attend. I hate that Christians are looking around at each other with critical eyes, instead of looking to Jesus with loving abandon.

         And yet, does this invalidate the truth of the gospel? Does this make all that Christians have proclaimed, lived and died for, of no account?

        I think not. "Rather let God be found true, though every man be found a liar." centuries and epochs may have passed since Christ's birth, but still we all must bow before the King of kings and Lord of lords.


 

        Since the day the Shepherds were first summoned from their flocks that first night, until now, those who truly follow the Christ child must all bow down before Him and confess that He alone is Lord.

Venite Adoramus,
Venite Adoramus,
Venite Adoramus, 
Dominum! 
 
If more people knew Latin these days, I would not hesitate to share this magnificent and timeless carol in its original form, however, seeing as that is not the world we live in, I shall content myself with sharing this exultant version by...you know exactly who!


O come, all ye faithful,
Joyful and triumphant,
O come ye, O come ye to Bethlehem;
Come and adore Him
Born the King of Angels:
 
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
Christ the Lord.
 
God of God,
Light of Light,
Lo! He abhors not the Virgin's womb;
Very God,
Begotten not created:
 
See how the shepherds,
Summoned to His cradle,
Leaving their flocks, draw nigh with lowly fear;
We too will thither
Bend our joyful footsteps:
 
Yea, Lord, we greet Thee,
Born this happy morning,
Jesus to Thee be all glory given;
Word of the Father, 
Now in flesh appearing:
 
Sing, choirs of angels
Sing in exultation,
Sing, all ye citizens of heaven above;
Glory to God,
All glory in the highest: 

Yes, I know I included five verses while the recording I shared has only four. This is because the third verse, "See how the shepherds..." was included in a later set of verses added to the hymn in the 18th century. The original four are of what the song previously consisted. While I don't mind this new verse, I didn't want to leave out the original third verse, "Yea, Lord, we greet Thee..." so they're all there. I never get tired of this Christmas carol. May it never be forgotten, and regardless of how darkly the clouds roil about us, let us always call the faithful to come and adore Him who is Christ the Lord!

      Until tomorrow,
          ~ Christianna
 

Share this:

0 comments: