On The Twelfth Day of Advent...

 

        I know that advent isn't a countdown, and technically this isn't the "twelfth day of advent," however, for the sake of my blogpost titles, bear with me, please. 

        The melody of the first carol this season will probably be familiar to most here, but how many of you are familiar with "In Dulci Jubilo" the carol? 

         The musically adept will most likely raise their hands and say, "Oh, I know what that is, that's the name of the tune for "Good Christian Men Rejoice." Correct. However, it's not just a tune, it's a carol, and one with which the translators have taken gross and heinous liberties with.

         Unless you've spent a great deal of time in a choir, you've likely never sung the original text which is a Macaronic setting with medieval German and ecclesiastical Latin. This anonymous text has nothing to do with pasta. It comes from the Italian and Latin words of the same, referring to a jumble of things. And, in this case, refers to a mix of languagues within a given text. "The Prayer" by David Foster would be a modern example of a Macaronic text setting.

        Now, no church congregation in the States is going to sing a song in Latin and German. That doesn't make sense in a congregational setting. I agree, but "Good Christian Men Rejoice," is no solution. It's a completely different text and no translation. It should not have become a substitution for "In Dulci Jubilo." The appropriate way to translate it for English singers, which has already been done, in fact, would be to leave the Latin lines as they are and translate the German vernacular into English.

        Those of you who have been following these posts long enough, know that I have made this case in a previous carol series but it bears repeating, I think. Once you've read the original lyrics, perhaps you'll understand why that English excuse for this lovely carol annoys me.

1. In dulci jubilo
Nun singet und seid froh!
Unsers Herzens Wonne liegt
In Presepio,
Und Leuchtet als die Sonne
Matris in gremio,
Alpha es et O!
 
2. O Jesu parvule
Nach dir ist mir so weh!
Tröst' mir mein Gemüte
O puer optime
Durch alle deine Güte
O princeps gloriae.
Trahe me post te! 
 
3. O Patris caritas!
O Nati lenitas!
Wir wären all verloren (verdorben)
Per nostra crimina
So hat er uns erworben
Coelorum gaudia
Eia, wären wir da!
 
4. Ubi sunt gaudia
Nirgend mehr denn da!
Da die Engel singen
Nova cantica,
Und die Schellen klingen
In regis curia.
Eia, wären wir da!
 
And the exact translation:
 
 In dulci jubilo [In quiet joy]
Let us our homage show
Our heart’s joy reclineth
In praesepio [in a manger]
And like a bright star shineth
Matris in gremio [in the mother's lap]
Alpha es et O. [Thou art Alpha & Omega]
 
 O Jesu parvule [O tiny Jesus]
I yearn for thee alway
Listen to my ditty
O puer optima [O best of boys]
Have pity on me, pity
O princeps gloriae, [Prince of glory]
Trahe me post te. [draw me unto thee]
 
O patris caritas [O father's caring]
O nati lenitas [O newborn's mildness]
Deeply were we stained
Per nostra crimina [by our crimes]
But thou hast for us gained
Coelorum gaudia [heavenly joy]
O that we were there.
 
Ubi sunt gaudia [where be joys]
If that they be not there
There are angels singing
Nova cantina [new songs]
There the bells are ringing
In regis curia [at the king's court]
O that we were there.
 
Isn't that a beautiful set of verses? I especially love how full and rich the setting is. How complete the message. "O that we were there!" After having sung this version. I really have a hard time with anything else. How many of you are familiar with this setting? If you haven't memorized anything in Latin yet, I might suggest this as a good start. The Latin lines are relatively simple, and interspersing it with English helps you remember it better. 
         I will add that In Dulci Jubilo, is perhaps better translated, "In Sweet Joy," rather than "Quiet Joy." And with no further ado, let us hear it sung by the experts. Yes, The King's College Choir at Cambridge. Who else?


      Only twelve days until Christmas. We'll explore carols both ancient and modern, many of which will be new to you. I hope you'll join me for the countdown.

         ~ Christianna


Share this:

1 comments:

Bridgette said...

Thanks for sharing! I never thought about translations of hymns until I found out recently that "A Mighty Fortress" English version is not a literal translation. This video is neat because it has the translation https://youtu.be/pIbEMp8EpCI - the meaning is definitely deeper I think!