6 Geese a Laying

 


       Getting babies to sleep can be quite a tricky thing. This particular photo was taken after I had finally succeeded in getting my exhausted nephew to close his eyes and take deep breaths instead of bawling to me about all his troubles as he had been for the past hour. 

       Experiences such as this have taught me to be sympathetic to the mother and definitely makes me appreciate the sheer number of times lullabys or songs more or less encouraging little babies to sleep, pop up in traditional literature. One of my favorites for the Christmas season is, more or less, excellent in terms of lyrics despite the fanciful nature of the song.

And then you get to that one line that reminds you how Catholics like to add a fourth person to the godhead, and you wonder how many other otherwise excellent songs they spoiled.

I usually tweak the second line of the last verse to something that isn't heretical. I suppose we protestants have a long history of doing that, either with lines or entire sets of lyrics. 

I'll give you my edition in parentheses below the actual line in the lyrics, and enjoy this otherwise beautiful lullaby from the fifteenth century set to music by Gustav Holst.


[Refrain:]
Lullay my liking,
My dear Son, my Sweeting;
Lullay my dear Heart,
Mine own dear Darling.

1. I saw a fair maiden
Sitten and sing:
She lulled a little child,
A sweete Lording
Lullay my liking . . .

2. That Eternal Lord is He
That made alle thing;
Of alle Lordes He is Lord,
Of every King He's King.
Lullay my liking . . .

3. There was mickle melody
At that childes birth:
Though the songsters were heavenly
They made mickle mirth.
Lullay my liking . . .

4. Angels bright they sang that night
And saiden to that Child
"Blessed be Thou and so be she
That is so meek and mild."
Lullay my liking . . .

5. Pray we now to that child,
As to His Mother dear,
(son of that maiden dear)
God grant them all His blessing
That now maken cheer.
Lullay my liking . . .
    
Poor Mary would be horrified if she knew how many people over the past centuries have and still do pray to her, but also, let's not forget the rest of this piece. The Lord of all, Eternal Father, Creator of everything has come to us.

Let us rejoice on this the fourth Sunday of advent.

     ~ Christianna

Share this:

0 comments: