9 Ladies Dancing

 

         When you think of the birth of Christ, and that night spent with the newborn child lying in a manger, has the question ever presented itself: what was Mary thinking?

         I know it has for me. We're not Catholics, we know better than to worship Mary, but, it also behooves us to acknowledge that she was quite a courageous young woman. I doubt she fully understood the import of who Jesus was and what He came to do...then again, maybe she did. Either way, however, she knew something about the whole thing seeing as babies don't conceive themselves, and most people don't receive visits from angels. 

Ultimately when I think about what might have been going through Mary's head, or, at very least, what would have been had she known all, could be summed up in a set of lyrics set to a lovely tune by Bach. I have posted this several years ago, I think, but it's been so long, I wish to remind my readers of this magnificent carol once more. 

O little one sweet, O little one mild,
Thy Father's purpose thou hast fulfilled;
Thou camest from heaven to mortal ken,
Equal to be with us poor men,
O little one sweet, O little one mild.

       Just the very fact of putting Himself on a level with men is staggering to me. You don't make that kind of thing up. The God of the universe doesn't just decide to redeem His rebellious subjects by becoming like them. That just isn't done, and yet our God did it.

Next time I see a nativity, next time I think of the Christmas  story, I hope I think first of the tremendous nature of it all. That the awe for such an event, however many times it has been told, might strike home once more. God in a manger. What scandal, what a breach of etiquette, what a contrary act. Born as a man, born to die the worst death a man could receive. Oh, even though I know why, sometimes I still wonder anyways. 

           How can I do anything but fall at his feet and worship at His manger bed with the Shepherds, "O Little One sweet, O little One mild."


O little one sweet, O little one mild,
Thy Father's purpose thou hast fulfilled;
Thou camest from heaven to mortal ken,
Equal to be with us poor men,
O little one sweet, O little one mild.

O little one sweet, O little one mild,
With joy thou hast the whole world filled;
Thou camest here from heaven's domain,
To bring men comfort in their pain,
O little one sweet, O little one mild.

O little one sweet, O little one mild,
In thee Love's beauties are all distilled;
Then light in us thy love's bright flame,
That we may give thee back the same,
O little one sweet, O little one mild.

O little one sweet, O little one mild,
Help us to do as thou hast willed.
Lo, all we have belongs to thee!
Ah, keep us in our fealty!
O little one sweet, O little one mild.

    What wonders have you discovered, or re-discovered, about Christmas? 


              Until Tomorrow,

                     ~ Christianna

Share this:

1 comments:

Bridgette said...

Yes, the glorious mystery of God AND man! I am readying a great book called The Person of Christ by John Owen (Sinclair Ferguson's modern version of Christologia).

"And he was able from the dignity of his person; for the temporary sufferings of him who was external were a full compensation for the eternal sufferings of them who were temporary." p.321