On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me........

......Silent night.
 This song  has an interesting story behind its writing which I would like to share with you. In 1818, at the Obendorf bei Salzberg, a church in Austria, it was Christmas. There had been a violent snow storm and there was no way for people to get far. Then the organ broke. Because of the snow storm no one could come out and fix it and if there was no organ the parish children feared there would be no Christmas carols for their annual Christmas eve service. And so, on the twenty third of December, a day before the Christmas eve service, Joseph Mohr, who was pastor of the church, gave these beautiful lyrics to the organist Franz Gruber and told him to compose a melody to it that could be sung to a guitar. Gruber stayed up late that night and composed for the poem the soft and dreamy melody that we now know as Silent night.

  The video I post below is not as good as I wanted, but I wished to spend as little time as possible searching for videos today.  However, it was still well done. Merry Christmas!

Share this:

0 comments: