Sweet Six





          The Basque Region is a little part of France no bigger than New England which straddles the borders of France and Spain. Not many people are aware of this little province divided among the two greater countries, and few know the Basque language, which, though officially established as a language, is hardly spoken in an area where the two predominant languages are French and Spanish.


           I find it interesting how close the obscurity of of this region resembles the obscurity of Bethlehem, the little town in which David was born and raised, and in which, hundreds of years later, Jesus was also born. This in itself would not be of extreme note, were it not, for the fact that the carol I'm going to share with you today. The only one I know that was written in this region in the language, is, incidentally about Bethlehem.

          Isn't it fascinating, friends, that God chose one of the smallest, most insignificant towns for Jesus to be born in? If it had been me, I would have chosen Jerusalem, or Capernaum, one of the big, notable cities where more people could have taken not of the momentous occasion...after all, there would be more witnesses, right? But God, didn't need there to be preexisting witnesses. He called the witnesses in from the fields where they were watching their sheep, hardly aware that they were being called to witness the perfect lamb of God, the final sheep necessary to sacrifice.

           I like to think of this to remember that God can and will use someone as obscure as nondescript as myself to bring Him glory. He doesn't have to use the most talented, the most influential, the most wealthy. He is perfectly capable of turning the insignificant significant, just like He brought this beautiful carol out of the insignificant little Basque region.

    This version is sung in the original language, and as you listen, read the translation I dug up. Do read it because I couldn't find a complete, actual translation online. I had to type this all out from a thick book of old carols I found at the library so make my effort worthwhile. ;) In all seriousness, though, what a deep and poignant set of lyrics...written at a time when most carols completely missed the heart of Christmas with all their extemporaneous stories about pious Mary and undue heat on the poor innkeeper.
               

O Bethlehem! Ah! How your glory today shines out brightly!
The light that comes from you fills out every corner.

What Honour! For you are raised up on high.
What grace! What favour! 
You are chosen of God as the birthplace of the beloved child Jesus.

At last we see there the beloved Jesus.
Let us praise Him with all our heart;
He has closed up hell and has opened up heaven for us.

For us an all-powerful God comes down from the heights of heaven;
Yes, He is born the Son of God, the spotless victim.

In the manger is the richest of Children. 
Who would ever have predicted that the Lord of heaven and earth would be found lying in a manger?

With the Shepherds I am impelled to com to you,
Wishing to do as they do; I worship you, the Messiah,
Give you all my heart with the Shepherds.

I have nothing, O Jesus, to offer you but a guilty heart, 
To show you my gratitude for all my benefits.

      Indeed, what honour, favour and grace. God came down and deigned to dwell among us. We have nothing but a guilty heart to offer. Give thanks to Him that that is all He asks. What a gracious God we serve.


     ~ Christianna

Share this:

0 comments: