Three to Tally

            I've always loved Thomas Kinkade's paintings. As you've probably noticed if you've been reading my blog posts or watching my own videos for any length of time, I try to slip in one of his pictures as often as I can get away with it. Friends of mine have pointed out that many of his pictures feel lonely and empty because they don't have people in them. While I can see their point, (though I do take pleasure in pointing out every time one of Kinkade's paintings does contain a visible human) I think his paintings always contain the presence of people even if they don't show them. The houses always have lights on in the windows, the paths are always well trodden, the gardens and villages are beautifully kept. I don't get the illusion of loneliness when I look at Kinkade's pictures, instead I feel silence; quiet. I think in not putting too many people in his idyllic scenes, Kinkade compels us to meditate in silence on God's glory. I don't know if that was his actual intent, but that's what I get out of his pictures.

           They all cause me to stop and be silent as I delight in the beauty of God's creation. I believe that if I could step into the picture, quietness would greet me there.

 
            To be quiet is exactly what today's song asks us to do. Yes, Christ's birth is a time for us to Shout for Joy, but I think it also calls from us like Kinkade's paintings a certain measure of silence as we realize the extent of what God has done for us.


     King of kings yet born of Mary,
As of old on earth He stood.
Lord of lords in human vesture,
In the body and the blood.

            I don't think any of us could ever fully realize what it means to be an all-powerful, eternal God and take on human form. Perhaps we could experience a bit of the physical limitation if we were to suddenly take on the form of an earth worm, but the difference between a human and a worm is negligible to the difference between a human and God. 

        So as you listen to this hauntingly beautiful Christmas song take a few minutes of silence to thank God for His great gift to mankind.




                 ~ Christianna

Share this:

3 comments:

Benjamin Harbour said...

Great thoughts on Mr. Kinkade's paintings! I've always liked them as well. :) I think my experience with them is limited to calendars and puzzles, though. :P

Christianna Hellwig said...

Haha, yes, that's where we find most of them. It's not a bad thing I think. For the past two years I've gotten Kinkade Calendars and have another one for next year, I haven't gotten tired of them....yet. :)

Lisa Hellwig said...

My favorite Christmas song...thank you for including this one. I never grow tired of it.