Saying Goodbye...

          I've never met anybody who finds his joy in saying goodbye. In truth, there have been multiple occasions when I secretly rejoiced to say goodbye, but aside from those, ahem, very justifiable occasions *coughs*, farewells are rarely pleasant occasions. In fact, it's interesting how the phrase is softened in German. "Auf Wiedersehen," is literally translated Until We Meet Again.The goodbye comes with the hopeful assurance that there will be a reunion.

   I think perhaps, it's because in the pith of our souls, we all understand that goodbyes aren't meant to be. We are eternal beings, we long for a reunion which never ends.

    At least that's the way I see it. This year I had to say goodbye not just to some very wonderful people, but to a whole chapter of my life. I've been taking violin lessons for about five years now, with the same teachers, a wonderful husband and wife team, and this year they and I both realized that it was time for me to move on. They felt that there was nothing more they could help me with that I couldn't to on my own, and I realized I'd plateaued. When taking music lessons, it often helps after several years to switch teachers, get a different perspective, take from someone who sees from a different angle, and I've been told five years is about the typical length to stay with one teacher.

       Even with all that, my teachers were wonderful people. I'd gotten to know most of the student community and look forward to the recitals. This last recital with them in May was hard, as I was comfortable with them all and the community. However, it was time.

       Now as I'll probably start looking for a new teacher this fall, as well as preparing for a possible set of new goodbyes(more to follow on that later). I feel as though I've closed an old chapter of my life. I just turned a page, if you will.

        I'm an adult now, I have a Bachelors degree, I'm twenty-one with all the legal rights and privileges of a grown-up. My violin teachers were my last carry-over from my teenage years, now, I'm no longer there either, my whole world has changed, and while it's a good thing, there's a part of me that looks backward with some sadness.

        Okay enough reminiscing. I've never shared any of my violin playing with you all before. Because, as you know, I've a difficult time sharing the parts of me that I know are less than perfect. However, for better or for worse, I'll share with you today my last violin recital with first violin teachers. I played the first and second movements of Handel's second violin Sonata, and I made a boatload of mistakes. To tell the truth, this piece was a little anti-climactic for me. I didn't really picture this as my last recital piece, it certainly wasn't ranked among my favorite, but my teachers were pushing for it, and I thought it would be a great way to honor them by playing something they selected.

        It is a pretty piece, though. Here you are! :)


       So, now do you understand why I've never shared any of my playing with you in the past? ;) I definitely understand the violin better in theory than I do in practice, but that's what makes me a great teacher, I think. Imagine if I were a great performer but not so great at imparting to others what I knew? I can't even begin to comprehend on what I would have missed out on life!

         So there we have it. One chapter in my life is closed, I imagine that this is the first of many goodbyes, but I hope that most of them, like the German words, will be only until we meet again.

       Auf Wiedersehen, meine freunden.

           ~ Christianna 

Share this:

0 comments: