On The Night He Was Betrayed

        In traditional evangelical church liturgy when communion is served, the officiant begins, "On the night that Jesus was betrayed, He took the bread and broke it..."
        Intriguing. Not the night He was arrested, not the night he 'turned himself in,' not the night He was tried for false crimes, but the night He was betrayed. 

        The focus is certainly food for thought. For one, I was struck by the fact that a man thought he could betray God for lucre and get away with it. For another, the idea the Jesus would treat Judas with such respect and kindness when He knew what he was going to do, is almost inconceivable when you let the matter really sink in.

         And yet, how many of us have metaphorically slapped God in the face only to have Him turn back towards us with arms outstretched? How many people in the history of humanity have committed atrocities against God, or, worse, in His name and still seen the sun rise on another beautiful day? Or else, granted repentance that leads to life?

         Of course, one might argue that Judas didn't actually believe Jesus to be God. Even conceding that fact, it was still a capitally slimy thing to do towards a fellow human being, and ultimately any sin, regardless of the object, is ultimately against God. However, I think it's pretty clear from both Judas' following remorse, and the fact that He was with Jesus and witnessed everything that took place, and everything He did from the beginning of His ministry, that Judas knew precisely whom he was betraying. Even if he didn't admit it to himself at first.

        My first thought is to sit there shaking a fist at Judas. How could he do such a horrific thing? Of course we all understand that Jesus had to die, but did He have to be betrayed? I can't help feeling just a bit sorry for Judas, knowing the end result. Surely he could have foreseen the trajectory...

       And yet, how many times have I committed a sin with full knowledge of the consequences...I watched a movie I shouldn't have, and knew I would regret seeing afterwards, simply for the momentary pleasure it would grant me. I uttered those cutting words to my littlest brother, knowing that I would rue the day I spoke them, knowing that I would see his features wilt in pain, knowing that God would not be pleased, yet I said it because I wanted to, because it felt good right then. Am I better than Judas?

        I am not one jot better. In fact, in many respects, because I've been given more than He ever had, I am worse; far worse.

             Friends, tonight, as I attended the Maundy Thursday service, as we served each other the bread and... uh...grape juice...(Like good teetotaler Baptists) witnessing that Christ's body was broken for us and His blood shed for us, I was reminded of my own state before God. I was reminded of what I would be if God hadn't rescued me from the destruction of my own sin. There is nothing left for me to do but to fall down at my savior's feet and call Him Lord. To give Him my life and go where ever He leads.

        It is because of this growing realization over the years that this song I'm about to share with you tonight has become increasingly precious to me. Every year around Easter, I find myself singing it more frequently, and every year I understand it a little bit more. In High Church, Anglican services, this song has become rather cliche for this time of year, but since most of us here are probably more likely Evangelical, maybe we can appreciate it a little more.

           I think this Hymn speaks for itself, so I will leave you here tonight.

              Think on His pity, and His love unswerving; not our deserving.

   ~ Christianna

Share this:

0 comments: