The Second Day of Advent...

 

           This morning, when I woke, the sun was shining brightly in a dazzlingly blue sky. Those of you who know me will understand why this did not please me. However, the wind was also blustering quite strongly, knocking the branches of our trees together and maintaining that consistent dull roar outside that often comes before or after a Hurricane or a bad storm brushes our area.

          As I watched, a large cloud crept up from the north, slowly blocking out more and more of the sky. It was really earie at one point as it seemed to half block out the sun, but now, as I write this, the day is completely cloud covered and looks for all the world as though we have another stormy day, to my utter delight and everyone else's dismay.

          Being the time of year that it is, of course, my thoughts went straight to the Shepherds, who possibly had an opposite experience, albeit more suddenly. One of the things we actually know for a fact is that the Shepherds were visited by the angels during the night. "In the same region there were shepherds staying out in the fields and keeping watch over their flock by night."

          Luke goes on to say that an angel of the Lord suddenly appeared to them, which leaves no doubt that it was certainly not a gradual descent of light on their dark world, but I do know that there must have been sudden light where there had only been darkness previously. I have seen the way lightning at night for a brief moment will light up the sky almost as though it were day, and it is one of the most fascinating scenes. 

         Imagine if that lightning lasted for more than simply a split second, and then add in the dazzling being proclaiming the birth of the Messiah your people have awaited for years beyond counting.

          What an experience.

        The song I have for today I am also guilty of having shared several years ago, but I think it's one worth re-sharing. At the time I didn't know a thing about its composer, William Billings, but now I have had some exposure to his music and discovered in him a lively wit and brilliantly underrated skill in weaving together harmonies. He was an American composer, no less, from the eighteenth century, and some of his music has become an indispensable part of choral repertoire all over the world such as his very popular canon, "When Jesus wept."

         This carol, "Methinks I see A Heavenly Host," is one that has been carried into modern times by means of the sacred-harp shape note singing tradition. It has a few questionable lyrics, such as a point where Billings is unduly harsh on the poor inkeeper, or the place where Jesus is termed as second to "The great I Am." However, all in all, I think it's alright to smile at these moments and move on. I know I couldn't help laughing when he calls the anonymous inn master he has dreamt up an "Ungenerous soul of savage mould and destitute of grace." In contrast there are some deeply profound lines such as when we "rural swains" are commanded to remember the meekness of our God "who left the realms of boundless joy to ransom you with blood." What a thought to ponder.

           All in all, just enjoy this fast-paced, upbeat colonial-era carol. This is one that I would love to someday sing with a quartet, the harmonies are so crisp and on point. If I could get three other parts together, this would be one of the first things I would propose to sing. Whatever else this song contains it does not contain irreverence which is one of those things our modern songs often do. Every age has its foible, and ours is the tendency to treat God like the bloke next door.

             What do you think? I'll post the lyrics below the video.


             

1. Methinks I see an heav'nly host,
Of angels on the wing!
Methinks I hear their cheerful notes,
So merrily they sing,
So merrily they sing.
Let all your fears be banish'd hence,
Glad tidings I proclaim;
For there's a savior born today,
And Jesus is His name,
And Jesus is his name.

2. Lay down your crooks, and quit your flocks,
To Bethlehem repair;
And let your wand'ring steps be squar'd
By yonder shining star.
Seek not in courts or palaces,
Nor royal curtains draw;
But search the stable, see your God
Extended on the straw.
 
3. Then learn from hence ye rural swains,
The meekness of your God,
Who left the boundless realms of joy
To ransom you with blood.
The master of the inn refus'd,
A more commodious place;
Ungen'rous soul of savage mould,
And destitute of grace.
 
4. Exult ye oxen, low for joy,
Ye tenants of the stall,
Pay your obeisance, on your knees
Unanimously fall.
The Royal Guest you entertain,
Is not of common birth,
But second to the Great I Am,
The God of heav'n and earth.
 
5. Then suddenly a heav'nly host,
Around the shepherds throng,
Exulting in the threefold God
And thus address their song.
To God the Father, Christ the Son,
And Holy Ghost ador'd:
The First and Last, the Last and First,
Eternal praise afford,
Eternal praise afford.
 
        I see a bit of blue out my window as I finish this post. I'm hoping it's just a break in the clouds and not the end of them, but regardless I'm reminded that I won't always get cloudy skies, especially here in NC. The clouds will go away at some point and the sun will shine to earth unobstructed. The same happened to the shepherds. The heavenly host vanished, the sky was dark once more. The Shepherds didn't just settle back into their places and remark, "Well that was weird." Even in the re-darkened sky they believed what had been told them and went and found the child of the promise. Luke also tells us that the shepherds returned from their midnight foray "glorifying and praising God for all the things they had seen and heard." The encounter didn't end with the angels disappearing into the sky, nor, I think, with that night, and we too should not let our experience with the incarnation disappear with December 25th. Let us go on our way rejoicing and praising God.
                 To God the Father, Christ the Son, And Holy Ghost ador'd: The First and Last, the Last and First, Eternal praise afford,
 
                    Eternal praise afford!
 
    I'll see you tomorrow for our twelfth and final carol of this year's advent season,
                             ~ Christianna 

Share this:

1 comments:

Bridgette said...

Love this! “Luke also tells us that the shepherds returned from their midnight foray "glorifying and praising God for all the things they had seen and heard." The encounter didn't end with the angels disappearing into the sky, nor, I think, with that night, and we too should not let our experience with the incarnation disappear with December 25th. Let us go on our way rejoicing and praising God.”