The Second Carol of Christmas


            Any of you who have spent any length of time with me know that I have an obtrusive obsession with John Rutter's music. There is very little written by him which I don't like. And generally, if that happens, it's the words not the music which I object to.

          The current case in point being one of the songs the Master Chorale is singing for their joy of the season this concert. We're singing two John Rutter songs. One, as usual is glorious, uplifting and theologically sound. The other one, well, let's just say I refuse to ever perform Ave Maria, and Sing We to This Merry Company is pretty much along the same lines. I'm not singing it.
            That being said, I still love John Rutter's music, and my top favorite Christmas carols happen to include three of his: The Shepherd's Pipe Carol, What Sweeter Music, and The Angel's Carol.

           

          I've already shared the first two in this series before, and I probably will do so again, but I promised you carols that you've never heard of before and I'm in the habit of keeping my promises. The Angel's Carol is one I was initially skeptical about. I fell in love with it the moment I heard it, but it was with the music, not the words. Firstly it's very hard to hear the words on a recording of a choir singing in a cathedral, even when it's the Cambridge Singers with John Rutter conducting, and secondly, at the time, I wasn't sure about the biblical veracity of Angels Singing.

           You see, the Bible never says that the Angels sang when they visited the Shepherds, it only says that they praised God saying: "Glory to God in the highest....etc." Also, my parents were pastored in their early days by John MacArthur, and he is of the opinion that the angels sang once at the earth's creation and they will not sing again until the second coming of Christ.

            So, what do we do with all the grand songs we have in Christian liturgy that talks about the Angels singing at Christ's birth? If it's a misconception, it's a very common one, and removing the angels leaves us with little besides snow, Christmas trees, and Good King Wenceslas.

         Here's what I realized after a bit of study. First off, while MacArthur's claim has a lot of scriptural backing for it, it still remains what we would call "A disputable Matter." Secondly, splitting straws over angels singing feels a little reminiscent of a church I attended as a child where the elders were holding heated discussions over whether we should be using wine for communion, while the church had a host of larger problems to deal with.
         It felt childish at the time and arguing whether we should sing about angels singing feels pretty similar. In the end, I refer, as always to my theme verse, Philippians 4:8

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable,
Whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,
Whatever is of good repute, if there is any
Excellence, and anything worthy of praise,
Dwell on these things."

        Is it true that the angels sang at Christ's birth? God doesn't tell us, we don't know. Is it honorable to sing about it? I don't see why not. Is it right, as in righteous, I should hope so. Is it pure? I can think of few things more so. Is it of good repute? Well, the day when singing about angels singing becomes scurrilous is the day when I mount a flamingo and fly off into the dessert wastes of New Mexico.

        All that to say, I have come to conclude that singing Angels We Have Heard on High, What Child is This, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and Infant Holy, Infant Lowly (All songs that refer to angels singing at least once) is a perfectly right and good thing to do. Furthermore, I think these songs are both excellent and worthy of praise, therefore, I intend to sing them all without compunction! 

           Now, my long suffering readership, since I've have just introduced and solved a problem you may never have had, I give you a beautiful piece of music by British composer and conductor John Rutter, "The Angel's Carol."

         

Have you heard the sounds of the angel voices,
Ringing out so sweetly, ringing out so clear?
Have you seen the star shining out so brightly 
As a sign from God that Christ the Lord is here?
Have you heard the news that they bring from heaven,
To the humble shepherds who have waited long?
Gloria in excelsis Deo!
Gloria in excelsis Deo!
Hear the angels sing their joyful song.

He is come in peace in the winter's stillness, 
Like a gentle snowfall in the gentle night.
He is come in joy, like the sun at morning, 
filling all the world with radiance and with light.
He is come in love as the child of Mary.
In a simple stable we have seen his birth.
Gloria in excelsis Deo!
Gloria in excelsis Deo!
Hear the angels singing 'Peace on earth'.

He will bring new light to a world in darkness, 
Like a bright star shining in the skies above.
He will bring new hope to the waiting nations.
When he comes to reign in purity and love.
Let the earth rejoice at the Saviour's coming.
Let the heavens answer with the joyful morn: 
Gloria in excelsis Deo!
Gloria in excelsis Deo! 
Hear the angels singing, 'Christ is born'.


         I think these beautiful lyrics speak, or rather sing for themselves. What are your thoughts on Angels singing? I'd love to have a discussion!

            ~ Christianna

Share this:

2 comments:

Paige said...

What a beautiful song! I appreciated hearing a new Christmas song. I agree that the Bible doesn't say specifically that the angels sang. Likewise, I don't think that the matter is anything worth severing friendships over. :-) Singing is a beautiful way to give glory to God!

Christianna Hellwig said...

Paige, so glad you enjoyed the song! :) Yes, whether or not the angels literally sang, praise was being given and singing is often synonymous with that.