The Seventh Carol of Christmas

           Why do the psalms call us to come before the Lord with Timbrel and Dancing; to come before Him with joyful singing?

            Perhaps because all joy ultimately comes from Him, and joyful demonstrations such as dance and instrumentation is one of the best ways to bring Him glory.

             Like prisms or glass mirrors we, in our feeble way, attempt to reflect back to Him His glory and beauty.
           There's a certain exuberance to Christmastime and the way we all throw ourselves with wild abandon into what we would normally consider crazy activities such as ringing people's doorbells and singing to them, bringing friends desserts, wishing random strangers a very merry Christmas, and  spending hours decorating our houses.
            My brothers and I are part of a Christian ballroom dance group, and probably my favorite partner is my brother Jedidiah, just because, for some reason or another, we think along the same lines while dancing and neither one of us has to complain about the other person's dance habits. When we dance I feel the joy of movement. I understand why dancing is such a wonderful beautiful thing, and why setting two people of opposite genders on a dance floor and having them go through an elaborate pattern of steps in sync has been happening for centuries.


             In a way, I think I am experiencing a part of God's character when I dance, and I think that can be said for any joy be it singing, playing an instrument, hiking, riding horses, hanging Christmas ornaments or making wreaths.

             By all means let's enjoy this time of year. It is the season to be jolly, and I, at least, intend to make the most of it.


             In light of this frolicsome time of year I'm sharing with you today my favorite variation of the traditional carol "Patapan" to date.

             This one is arranged by Howard Helvey. I think you'll enjoy it.


            
                        
   
                    We're a week away from Christmas, we all have permission to be in a state of eager anticipation.

          ~ Christianna

Share this:

2 comments:

Paige said...

I think this may be my favorite of the series thus far! Playing music and dancing are fun, whether by yourself or with others, and I have you to thank for teaching me the waltz. :-)

Christianna Hellwig said...

Paige, I'm so glad. :) Yes, that was so much fun. Thank you for being my waltz pupil!