The Fourth Carol of Christmas

           Whenever I wished myself somewhere in the Christmas story as a child I never wished to be Mary. Oh no. No little girl in her right mind wants to be Mary. I certainly knew better. No, I wanted to be one of the shepherds.  I wanted to be present when the herald angel visited and startled the poor men out of their wits. I wanted to witness the skies burst open to a myriad of angels proclaiming God's praises. What a memory to carry with you to the end of your days.

            I will share with you one of my life long wishes. It's one I'm almost certain will never be fulfilled, but I'd like to see an angel just once in this life. I used to pray for this wish, assuring God that if He would only let me see an angel just once I'd never tell anybody about it.(As a child I'd read stories about people who'd seen fantastical things, talked incessantly about it and ended up in mental facilities, I knew better!)

          Well, it's true, if I did see an angel, I wouldn't talk about it much, I'm sure, but to date I haven't seen one. I can't begin to know God's reasons for the things He does, but I do know that not just anybody gets to see angels, and there's always a special reason when one does.

          Probably the greatest event in history for which angel appearances are recorded, I think we can all agree, was Christ's birth.
      My brother Tobias, whom I managed to photograph above, recently told me that the angels visited the Shepherds because they thought they were cool watching over all those dumb sheep(Sheep are a little lacking in mental capacity).

          We had a good laugh, but in reality, I think the Shepherd's were probably the least cool people in the time of Christ that the angels could have visited. Perhaps that's why they visited them. Of all the people God could have sent the first birth announcement to, there was hardly a demographic more despised than the Shepherds.

           Yet it was for them that the skies unfurled to a multitude of the heavenly host.
          It was to the dirty, rough, brutish shepherds that the angel said, "Unto you is born this day a Saviour."  (Or, in Tobias' words, "Hey bro's what's up?) And it was these same uncouth men who knelt before the baby and worshiped him.

           I sometimes wonder how much my nephew actually comprehends of the world around him at this stage, knowing full well that this  time will shape him, but leave him with no conscious memories. How aware, I wonder, was Jesus as a baby of the Shepherds visit? As God He probably knew, I suppose, but He did surrender some of His privileges as God, when He came to earth, so what did that look like? It's philosophical food for thought, but of course this is one thing God did not tell us.

          Anyhow, I guess you know where I heading now. I want to share a beautiful old Austrian Carol about the Shepherds. It's arranged by another of my composing heros whom I had the great pleasure of meeting this year: Dan Forrest.

         The carol isn't exactly the most accurate in terms of talking about the shepherds seeing a star, but over all it's a beautiful carol which exalts the glory of God.

           I love the words of the third verse:

His throne is a manger, his court is a loft,
But troops of bright angels, in lays sweet and soft,
Him they proclaim, our Christ by name,
And earth, sky and air straight are filled with his fame.

        Perhaps it's fanciful to think of the bare surroundings of Jesus' birth becoming beautiful with His presence, but maybe not. I've always thought that perhaps the lowly manger did shine, either figuratively or literally with the light of the world which lay within its embrace.
        I'll let the rest of this carol speak for itself.

 
                           
                     



As lately we watch'd o'er our fields thro' the nigh,
A star there was seen of such glorious light.
All thro' the night, angels did sing,
Carols so sweet of the birth of a King.

A king of such beauty was ne'er before seen,
And Mary his mother so like a queen.
Blessed be the hour, welcome the morn,
For Christ our dear Saviour on earth now is born.

His throne is a manger, his court is a loft,
But troops of bright angels, in lays sweet and soft,
Him they proclaim, our Christ by name,
And earth, sky and air straight are filled with his fame.

Then shepherds, be joyful; salute your new King,
Let hills and vales ring to the song that ye sing.
Blessed be the hour, welcome the morn,
For Christ our dear Saviour on earth now is born.

Let us rejoice with the Shepherds that however lowly we are, Christ has come unto us.
         ~ Christianna

Share this:

0 comments: