The Fifth Carol of Christmas

            Why in the world does everybody go through all the trouble of decorating his house each Christmas? Stringing lights, making wreaths(in my case), purchasing a great big tree and hauling it into his house, hanging ornaments which never appear at any other time of year?

            Well, I can't speak for the whole world but I'll tell you why I do it? Last year, I decided I'd had enough of the old wreath we'd been using for about half my lifetime, hanging lopsidedly on one side of the front door, while another wreath that did not match at all and ought to have been hung indoors graced the other side. It was disgraceful, and this realization was only made more stark by the fact that our adopted grandmother has been sending us beautiful wreaths for our front door for the past three years whose magnificence condemned the deplorable nature of the two on each side (rather like the crucifixion setup, now that I think of it....but I digress.)

         I took matters  into my own hands, foraged in the woods for bendable sticks to make hoops, cut up an old garland that had been stuffed away in our garage for a dog's lifetime, and created two wreaths that I wasn't ashamed to put up in front of our house each year.
          Now why did I go through the trouble of doing something so arbitrary, so pedantic? It was fun, yes, but the love of creating a lovely set of wreaths wasn't why I did it.

            I did it because it would make the front of our house look significantly more attractive, and, because beautiful things make me happy.

          There are a lot of other things which I don't take the time or trouble to do solely because I rejoice over the outcome, especially if it's purely an aesthetic, but for Christmas, I am determined that such should be the case. To be able to rejoice in a thing of beauty for a even just a season is a great gift, and we cannot underestimate the value thereof.

           Why are ugly yards and misshapen houses depressing? Why does a slovenly dressed figure make you cringe? Because we were created to behold beauty, and sin, from the very beginning attempts to mar it.
             That brings me to the best part of the story. Christ came to restore things, not just spiritually but physically, imagine a world where there is no such thing as a run-down neighborhood, a misshapen structure, or eye-sore display. The thought makes me thrill, because while everything God made still drips with the beauty of His character, I look forward to seeing it redeemed and perfected for good.

           No wonder the angels praised God, and the Shepherds went on their way rejoicing. No wonder the magi traveled far to pay homage. The king of beauty is come, and it is time to rejoice in His magnificence.

           Pull out the ivy, deck those halls with two dozen boughs of holiday. Let's commemorate the day when God came to earth to make all things new.

      I think this lovely setting of a traditional English tune by John Rutter gloriously exudes the spirit we ought all to have at Christmas. For those of us who are Christians, we ought to rejoice at any time, but especially during the season set aside to honor his birth. Enjoy the beautiful things that you see at this season only, and be merry!

              Now, my friends, if I don't post this now and set out for dress rehearsal, I shall be late. I've got my final concert of the year tomorrow with the NC master chorale, and you're all invited...it's $25.00 but completely worth the beautiful music you will get treated to. Perhaps I'll see you at Meymandi tomorrow, but if not, listen to this carol again. We'll be singing it here!


                 Rejoice and be Merry, our Saviour is Come!

                           ~ Christianna


Share this:

0 comments: