No Angel Visitant


I have not posted in some time, and now feel the need to show my few faithful followers that I have not quite abandoned my blog! I want to share with you today a song that I learned through choir and I have taken as my own. A melodious, contemplative hymn: "Spirit of God Descend Upon My Heart."   Every single one of these verses is wonderful and such a common appeal from the heart, I can relate to each verse personally. The song was written in the early eighteen hundreds by George Croly; a Pastor and author. It is the only one of his hymns that has survived! The tune writer, Fredrick Atkinson, also wrote the tune to "Abide With Me", and it is interesting to hear the similarities between the two tunes, notice how the notes go down in the first line where he asks the the Spirit to Descend upon his heart and the rising crescendo in the end as he begs; 'stoop to my weakness, Mighty As Thou Art!'   The tune, in fact fits wonderfully with the soft pleading tone of the hymn. 
  I love the second verse where he states, "I ask no dream, no prophet Ecstasies; no sudden rending of the  veil of clay. No angel visitant, no opening skies; but take the dimness of my soul away!"  Here Croly renounces a very common wish of men, we want to be visited by angels, given visions in the night and we say, "Lord, if only I could see you or have a vision of heaven, I would be content and know that you are God." And yet did not Christ Himself tell the pharisees that even if someone were to rise from the dead they would not believe and does not He call us whom He has led to believe to walk by faith not by sight? Are they not blessed who do not see and yet believe?"  The Author, recognizes this and is like Solomon asking for wisdom instead of riches; "I ask none of these great wonders and signs!" he proclaims humbly, "I ask only that you take away that veil over my heart that blinds me to the horror of sin and the the existence of Almighty God; I want to feel your presence fully though I see no great visions and dreams!"   What a wonderful prayer for all of us! Let us all follow God first; He sends the little miracles and gifts as we go along, when we are not expecting them; when we really need them. It is not our place to ask for it. Though in a few cases, as of  Gideon and some others, he granted it any way. We cannot expect the same!  I have realized how much the Lord loves to send us little surprises and blessings when we're not expecting them!
  But I fear I have run on over long!
    Because the video I like best doesn't have all the verses, I will put them down here first and then post the video, make sure you read ALL of them before you watch the video! And tell me how you liked the tune; I love getting comments, post as many as you like! :)

Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth; through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art;
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies,
No sudden rending of the veil of clay,
No angel visitant, no opening skies;
But take the dimness of my soul away.

Hast Thou not bid me love Thee, God and King?
All, all Thine own, soul, heart and strength and mind.
I see Thy cross; there teach my heart to cling:
O let me seek Thee, and O let me find!

Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear.
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh,
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame;
The kindling of the heaven descended Dove,
My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.


Share this:

0 comments: